Sunday, June 8, 2008

A promising new album arrives


One of the best reviewed albums so far this year is a self-titled debut CD from a band called Fleet Foxes. They are based out of Seattle, the city that brought us Nirvana. But this album has various musical influences and I believe is more indy in nature. The Guardian says, "It all adds up to a landmark in American music, an instant classic." Rolling Stone says "the Foxes stuff their free-form songs with rich, swirling melodies; billowing clouds of organs, tom-toms, bells and assorted stringed instruments cloak group vocals whose ... suede-fringed precision owes plenty to Crosby, Stills and Nash."

I've only heard a few songs, but I've ordered it to see what all the fuss is about. I've been disappointed with much of the music of 2008 so far. This one gives me hope that the year in music can be redeemed. It might be on the arty side, but at this point I'm willing to risk it. I'll let you know if it's good or just fizzles out like everything else this year.

No comments: